- Boosts learning ability
- Supports short- and long-term memory
- Promotes positive moods (yep, deficiencies can make you feel funky!)
- Helps extinguish fear memory (one of the goals of psychotherapy)
- Lengthens duration of deep sleep (relaxing mental frames along with muscles)
- Decreases level of stress hormone cortisol (which can keep us awake and edgy)
- Required for synthesis of DNA and RNA (helpful for healthy cellular renewal)
In addition to supporting the brain, magnesium stabilizes heart rate, regulates insulin metabolism, encourages healthy blood pressure, and relaxes blood vessels. Plus it’s is vital to energy production, muscle and nerve function, protein synthesis, and enzyme activity. There’s even an entire set of proteins that have been nicknamed the “magnesome” because of their dependence on magnesium. In fact, it’s involved in over 300 processes in the body!
So, stock up now because your health depends on plenty of magnesium!
- Nuts: almonds, cashews, peanuts, and nut butters
- Whole grains: wheat germ, brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat, bran, bulgur wheat
- Beans: navy, kidney, soy, lima
- Fish: halibut, mackerel
- Soy milk
- Cocoa: in fact, many people crave chocolate for the magnesium fix!
- Leafy greens: spinach, swiss chard, okra
- Acorn squash