Spice it up with this warm and hearty chili recipe.
Serves 4. Prep time: 15 minutes. Cook time: 4 hours.
1 cup quinoa
2 heaping cups chopped roasted Hatch chiles
1 large or 2 smaller sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 red onion, diced
2 ears of fresh sweet corn, cut off the cob
1 14-oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
1-2 fresh limes
A pinch of sugar, if needed
Fresh cilantro or mint, chopped
- Add quinoa, olive oil, garlic, onion, roasted Hatch chiles, sweet potatoes, corn and tomatoes to slow cooker.
- Stir together.
- Pour just enough broth over the ingredients to cover them up – you don’t want it too soupy.
- Add in the spices, sea salt, and pepper.
- Stir and cover.
- Simmer on low for 4 hours or until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Just before serving, add lime juice to brighten flavors.
- Add a pinch of sugar if chili’s are too spicy.
- Serve with slices of ripe avocado, and fresh chopped cilantro or mint on top.