Tofu, Sun-Dried Tomato, Spinach, and Mushroom Quiche
Posted May 15, 2016
We couldn’t resist this delicious recipe from O She Glows
. The almond, buckwheat, and flax crust adds a gluten-free touch and the tofu makes for a creamy egg substitute while the sun-dried tomatoes add a kick of flavor.
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tablespoons water, mixed together
- 1 cup whole almonds, ground into flour
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats or buckwheat groats, ground into flour
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1-2.5 tbsp water, as needed
- 1 block (14-oz) firm tofu
- 3 cups (8-oz) sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a round 10-inch tart pan.
- Wrap rinsed tofu in tea towels. Place some weight on top to lightly press out the water while you prepare the crust.
- In a large bowl, stir together the almond meal, oat flour (or buckwheat flour), parsley, oregano, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flax and water mixture in a small bowl and set aside so it can gel up.
- Add the flax mixture and oil to almond meal and flour. Stir until the dough is sticky (similar consistency of cookie dough). Add water as needed.
- Spread the dough evenly over the base of the tart pan (or pie dish). Start from the center and spread the mixture outward and up the sides of the pan. Poke a few fork holes in the dough so air can escape.
- Bake the crust at 350F for 13-16 minutes, or until lightly golden and firm to touch. Set aside to cool while you finish preparing the filling. Increase oven temperature to 375F.
- Break apart the tofu block into 4 pieces and process in food processor until smooth and creamy. Add a splash of almond milk to smooth out tofu if desired.
- In a skillet, add oil and saute the leek and garlic over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms, season with salt, and cook on medium-high heat until most of the water cooks off the mushrooms, about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in the herbs, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, nutritional yeast, oregano, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes until combined. Cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the processed tofu until thoroughly combined. Adjust seasoning to taste if desired. Spoon mixture into baked crust and smooth out until even.
- Bake quiche, uncovered, at 375F for 30-35 minutes, until firm to touch. For best results, cool for 15-20 minutes on a cooling rack before slicing.